Human Development: Milestones
A six-week old embryo.
Kelly T., born at just 21 weeks. It may not be clear in
this small version of the picture, but that "bracelet" around her arm ... it's
actually the nurse's wedding ring.
Milestones in fetal development
- 4-5 months: baby can kick hard enough for his mother to feel it
- 3 months: breathing (amniotic fluid)
- 3 months: capable of hearing
- 2 months: all body systems functioning
- 2 months: ultrasound has seen babies this age sucking their thumbs
- 40 days: brain waves can be measured with an
(Today we declare someone to be legally dead when his brain waves cease. So if
the end of brainwaves marks the legal end of life, perhaps the
start of brainwaves should mark the legal start of life?)
- 18 days: heart begins to beat
(Even today the most common way to determine that someone is dead is probably
to check for pulse or heatbeat. So if we say you're dead when your heart
stops, shouldn't we say you're alive when you're heart starts?
Posted 9 Sep 2000.
Copyright ©1995 by Ohio Right to Life
Contact Pregnant Pause